Lisbon Airport and Portela Airport, is an international airport located 7km from the city centre of Lisbon, the lisbon airport map pdf of Portugal. In Portuguese, it is referred to as Aeroporto de Lisboa, Aeroporto da Portela, or Aeroporto da Portela de Sacavém. Portela in Loures Municipality, formerly known as Portela de Sacavém.
The airport is the main international gateway to Portugal and a major European hub. It is the 24th largest airport in Europe in terms of passenger volume, having served 22. 4 million passengers in 2016, an increase over the previous year by 11. As of 2016, the airport handled 92.
2 thousand tons of cargo, and served 121 destinations with 47 airlines. It is the most strategically important European hub to Brazil, and serves as the largest Star Alliance hub to South America. It is also one of the most important European hubs to Africa. Aeroportos de Portugal which was concessioned to the French group Vinci Airports in February 2013.
The airport opened on 15 October 1942, during World War II, and initially operated in conjunction with the Cabo Ruivo Seaplane Base: seaplanes performed transatlantic flights, and passengers were transferred onto continental flights operating from the new airport. As a neutral airport it was open to both German and British airlines, and was a hub for smuggling people into, out of, and all around Europe. It is widely referenced in the classic film Casablanca, whose plot revolved around an escape attempt to Lisbon airport.
As such, it was heavily monitored by both Axis and Allied spies. Although Portugal was neutral, the airport was used by allied flights en route to Gibraltar, North Africa and Cairo. At the end of the war the airport developed quickly, and by 1946 was used by major airlines such as Air France, British European Airways, Iberia, KLM, Sabena, Pan Am and Trans World Airlines. By 1954 the number of passengers had reached 100,000.
52 airport diagram shows four runways laid out at 45-deg angles: 1350 m Runway 5, 1024 m Runway 9, 1203 m Runway 14, and 1170 m Runway 18. Runways 5 and 36 were each later extended northward to a length of 1999 m. 62 included a new runway capable of handling the first generation of jets, Boeing 707 and Douglas DC-8.
The first jet aircraft flight was an Air France Caravelle in 1960. The first direct flight to New York was operated by TWA with a Boeing 707, who later operated the first Boeing 747 service in 1970.
When TAP ordered the 747 in 1972, five large parking bays were built, and the terminal was enlarged. A major upgrade to the buildings and facilities commenced in 1983, and the first air bridges were added in 1991.
With this concession, ANA became responsible for the planning, development and construction of future infrastructure. The airport is now surrounded by urban development, being one of the few airports in Europe located inside a major city. Lisbon, was chosen as one of the sites for the new airport. In Alcochete a military training facility currently occupies the site, but the military agreed to abandon the location provided it could transfer its facility to a different area.